The colours, the patterns and the undeniable artistry of East Africa’s beautiful fabrics have always told a unique story of their own – one of imagination, expression and creativity.
Taking its inspiration from this most authentic of sources, a few days ago M-Net revealed the brand new logo for its customised East-African TV channel Maisha Magic (DStv channel 161).
The powerful Maisha Magic channel and its standout statement logo stood out as guests converged at the Safari Park Hotel in Nairobi to welcome the newest addition to the Africamagic family of channels on Monday, 1 September.
“Today is a phenomenal day for M-Net. It is hugely pleasing to see our company’s long investment into talent and skills development in East Africa transform into an entire channel, one which offers our audiences another relevant, entertainment choice.
“Of course, our viewers and our content partners are the heroes of this moment because it is their passion for their beloved home, this incredible part of Africa, which drove this channels’ creation and will drive its success. And just like the fabrics of East Africa which were so much our inspiration in creating the channel branding, Maisha Magic will weave its own stories, creating its own strength, its own unique canvas, with its own personality.”
These were the words of M-Net East Africa Regional Director Michael Ndetei who spoke at the event which was attended by special Guest of Honour Cabinet Secretary for Information, Communication and Technology, Dr. Fred Matiang’i, Regional Director (MIH), Mr Stephen Isaboke as well as film and TV industry stakeholders.
Addressing the guests, Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiangi, emphasised that as the country draws closer to achieving Kenya’s digital migration process with the switch off of the analogue television broadcast signal for a smooth transition to digital broadcasting, the importance and relevance of investing in the creative and production industries cannot be overstated.
The Cabinet Secretary singled out M-Net’s partnership with the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation, which spans 18 years as the finest example of excellence in public/private centre partnerships demonstrating evidence of a long term commitment and belief in the Kenyan broadcasting industry.
“I commend MultiChoice for the role they are playing as enablers of economic growth and infrastructure development”, he added.
Dr Matiangi said M-Net’s investment in the state-of-the-art East Africa Studios has ensured that Kenyans continue to enjoy a wider choice of locally produced programmes, and with digital television it will allow for a diversity and plurality of content on the platforms.
Stephen Isaboke confirmed that M-Net has been building steadily on its investment in the East African market, centralised in Kenya but with outreach across the region.
“We have recognised that whilst the M-Net East Africa brand has come to represent a powerful philosophy about pan-African cohesion, there is definitely room and an appetite from our audiences for a customised East African television brand, thus the launch of Maisha Magic channel,” he stated.
Available 24/7 to DStv Premium, Compact Plus and Compact subscribers, Maisha Magic was created very specifically to meet East African tastes, and as such includes a wealth of East African programming, along with telenovelas from Latin America as well as other carefully selected commissioned and acquired content.
Highlights on Maisha Magic in September include:
• Comedy: The Vitimbi Show, a legendary sitcom focused on Mama Kayai, her husbandOjwang Hatari and their family as they face the challenges of running their local restaurant. Starring industry veteran actors Benson Wanjau, Mary Khavere, Francis Njenga and Eunice Wambui, their faces have become synonymous in the Kenyan television scene. Benson Wanjau has been acting since 1963. The Vitimbi Show is set to delight audiences looking for “slice of life” home-grown entertainment. Another new show set to draw audiences is the cordially titled Mr and Mrs Singh, in which a wealthy Indian couple and their domestic help find their lives intertwining unexpectedly and often with comedic results. Look out for Feisal Malik, Bushra Malik, Pooja Kotedia and Charles Kimani, popularly known as Masaku, in title roles.
• Lifestyle: Maisha Magic also now becomes home to Mashariki Mix, where Sarah Hassan andNick Mutuma explore the worlds of fashion, food and fun, in two versions of the show – one Swahili, the other English. And as the show’s tagline says, “If it’s happening in East Africa, then it’s happening on Mashariki Mix.”
• Drama: Another major highlight for Maisha Magic is a second screening of the prime time drama Kona, a sensational show that pits an up and coming boxer against a series of unexpected competitors, inside and outside the ring. For viewers who missed Kona the first time round, it’s a must-watch odyssey into the concepts of family, faith and fight. The show propelled Brenda Wairimu, Nini Wacera and Lwanda Jawar to continental fame and, alongside a talented cast, the trio shine.
And if you love drama, then don’t miss Jane and Abel on Maisha Magic starring Liz Njaga, Angel Wariungi, Brian Ogola and Mumbi Maina. In it, the beautiful but dangerous Jane Kaziis on a relentless mission to destroy the Simba family, headed by oldest son Abel as he strives to keep the family business Simba Media successful. But why is Jane so determined to see Abel fail? Tune in to find out.
• Telenovelas: Meanwhile don’t forget the Latin American telenovelas whose passionate plots, romantic rendezvous, dramatic darlings and handsome heroes are loved throughout East Africa and will be seen on Maisha Magic. Check out Loving You Is All I Want starring the divineCristian de la Fuente, Karyme Lozano and Diana Bracho. Also make a date to see Lady of Vendaval starring Marcela Morales, Alessandro Castelo, Maria Laura Morales, Sagrario Aldama, Severo Morales and Nisa Castelo. In both telenovelas family, friends, feuds, betrayal and redemption are among the main themes as viewers fall in love with these colourful characters and their extravagant stories.
• Plus: In addition to comedy, drama and lifestyle programming, Maisha Magic also includes music programs Beyond the Beat and Wakilisha with DJ Tass a number one club dj, reality television Big Brother Hotshots scheduled to start Sunday, 7 September but due to a blaze that burnt the house on past Tuesday the show had called off, still to be announced again on it starts in future , Samantha’s Bridal Show and Ajabu and the talk show Mkasi.
Wakilisha Show is coming to you from Monday to Friday from 1600-1700hours and repeat Monday to Friday from 0800-900hours.
With a huge variety of genres, programs, stars and stories Maisha Magic has definitely announced its arrival onto the Kenyan film and TV landscape in style.
Now, all that’s left to say is – DStv channel 161, go! Fans of the channel can also engage with Maisha Magic